We work with a number of producers based in Palestine. Please read about each one below.
- Medjoul Dates – Jericho, Palestine
- Kufiyas – Hirbawi in Hebron, Palestine
- Handicraft – A group of women from Nablus in the West-bank, Palestine
We source our dates from ‘Nakheel Palestine’ in Jericho, Palestine. Nakheel Palestine grew out of a strong commitment to invest in the Palestinian agricultural sector, specifically date palm cultivation, to enable growth of the economy, protect Palestinian land, and introduce high quality Palestinian products into local and international markets.
We are supporting the last Original Kufiya factory in Palestine, run by the Hirbawi family in Hebron.
The last standing Kufiya factory in Palestine was established by Yasser Hirbawi in 1961. It was a striving business employing more than 25 workers operating 15 machines. However, in the early 1990’s, cheap Chinese imitations began to flood the global markets, reducing the factory’s annual production of Kufiyas from 150,000 to a bare 10,000 by 2010, creating a loss of sales and jobs.
From 2012, international awareness of this plight attracted global buyers and supporters which made it possible for production to go up again, increasing sales and allowing the factory to rehire more workers.
By purchasing an Original Kufiya through us, you are helping to create a demand for the Kufiyas which in turn creates jobs for Palestinians and keeps the factory, and a symbolic tradition, alive.
We work with a group of Palestinian women in the West-bank that make embroidered handicrafts, clothing, shoes and accessories for Preserved Identity. Some products are hand embroidered and some are machine embroidered. A lot of these women are unemployed due to the circumstances of the occupation and some are unemployed because they have disabled children that need to be looked after.
By purchasing from Preserved Identity, you are:
- empowering these incredible women
- giving them opportunities
- allowing them and Palestinian culture, heritage, traditions and identity to reach the global market
- providing them and their families with a source of income (for some, it’s their ONLY source of income).
- helping us raise funds to send to two charities we work with: one supporting the Palestinian orphans in Gaza and one supporting the Syrian orphans in Jordan (see below).
NB: 5% of proceeds are donated to charity so we have listed all our prices minus 5% and at checkout, the 5% is added to show you the donation amount being made.
On top of 5% percent of the proceeds from the products sold being donated to refugees, we are also giving our customers and supporters the opportunity to make extra one off or ongoing donations through our ‘Donate’ page.
We have teamed up with a couple of NZ based charities that are actively sending donations to refugees in a number of countries:
- Kiwi Trust for Palestinian Children Relief – a charity that sends donations to families in Gaza, Palestine
- Tamariki Outreach – a non for profit organisation where over 100 orphaned Syrian children living in Jordan are sponsored monthly. Other donations that are sent to Tamariki Outreach are used to support widowed Syrian mothers now living in Jordan & Turkey to empower them to learn, work and become providers for their families in their new environments.
Thank you very much for your generosity and contribution to a worthy cause!